September 9, 2007

A Bit of Earth

Today we tackled our newly adopted garden plot. I am so excited to have a small piece of land to grow flowers, food, and herbs. I hope to have a tea garden as well. Our community garden is a monarch waystation for migrating butterflies and has a nice colorful strip of "wild" flowers growing down the center. Andrew and I worked out there clearing our land for four hours today. Check out the before picture above....and the after below.


I love exploring a new climate. The plants are different. The air feels different. I love the mountain view from my kitchen window. It reminds me of what the West Mauis look like from Lahaina. This place is somewhere in between Hawaii and Oregon (well literally). It got colder a few days ago. An autumn crispness seems to have entered the evening air.

3 comments:

gchoke said...

Beautiful pictures! Sounds like you put in a lot of hard work to prepare your little patch of earth. Can you start tomatoes in September? Here in Ohio, our tomatoes and peppers are almost finished.

The baby birds are trying out their wings to start the migration south in a month or so.

Emily said...

No tomatoes (or peppers) in winter! Mostly leafy greens and root vegetables. I've heard tomatoes don't even grow very well here in the summer since our climate is too mild and our neighborhood is right by the ocean (no super intense heat).

I've been told winter is the best growing season, but we'll see...

Larissa said...

Welcome to the world of blogging! Love the photos of your garden :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails