I've been really really missing the kids I nannied for too. The Olsens really became my family and I have more roots to Oregon than I realized. It was recently the anniversary of Graham's passing. That angel boy is free now, but he is still so alive to me. It can be hard to comprehend.
I know that the classroom thing will happen... and I look forward to the kids, the surprises, the community, and the learning. But in the meanwhile I've been fulfilling my need to nurture in other ways. I'm becoming master of my domain. In my unemployment I have turned into a bit of a desperate housewife. I've been cooking and planting and arranging and displaying and organizing. I even have a vintage apron I found at a thrift store back in the day. After the intensity of last year I am enjoying all this "me" time.
I've planted bulbs for the first time. I love the spring surprise of daffodils and tulips and yummy smelling hyacinths and paper whites. I'm excited by the bounty of fall and have been making a lot of yummy stuff.
Tonight was: Butternut squash pizza. It was a very gourmet experience (and incredibly delicious). I made up the recipe: it has ricotta cheese, a cream sauce, mushrooms, and squash of course. I love squash so much, I've even been adding it to omelets with good results!
Andrew got me a green sewing machine for my birthday. It is adorable. I love how he encourages my creativity (he bought me an easel last year and now he keeps begging me to write children's books). I need to come up with some simple sewing projects now. Any ideas?
Andrew and I took the tandem bike out yesterday. Santa Barbara is an amazing location: we rode down by the beach and then up in the foothills, stopping for a hike through an organic farm. I love how fresh flying against the air on a bike makes you feel. Plus, you can go really fast when there are two people.
Much Love, More Later.
Emily
4 comments:
You are just so CUTE with your apron and pizza and sewing machine. What is it about us women suddenly turning to domesticity?
I think you should sew a tote or shoulder bag type thing...pretty simple, and very practical!
I started to explore options and that does seem like a good one. A gal can always use another bag (I'm a total bag lady). Plus, it doesn't scream "cutesy" or 80ies arts and craft project.
Hi Em! When I was into sewing, I made lots of pillows! Easy and rewarding to make. You could also make simple purses or tote bags. Sewing is fun, I keep telling myself I will get back into it some day. By the way, your pizza looks delicious!!!
Linda! You started a blog! I didn't know you knew how to sew. Thanks for the pillow idea. I have a collection of material I like now but I haven't yet taken the plunge...
Post a Comment