I want to get over my fear of blogging. I love writing! I love sharing! I like being part of a community (even if it’s through wires).
Here’s the thing: I was taught to be cautious and private (don’t identify yourself on the phone to unknown callers, keep an unlisted number). If someone asks for personal information ask “why?” before responding. I even identified a bit with Mel Gibson's character in Conspiracy Theory. I think as a typical oldest sibling, I tend to be more careful than carefree. In fourth grade I came home and was convinced there were “robbers” in our house without a car parked in front of it. I went to the neighbor's house and called home and found my brother was home (mom was up the street). Paranoia?
Truly, I am a people person (humans are totally my favorite animal), I love my friends intensely, and I’m ridiculously loyal. Still, I tend to be selective about who I share myself with. I’ve even been called a snob a few times, if you can believe it (one person said they USED to think I was a snob before they knew me).
I am particular, that’s all.
And I'm working on being more accepting and not holding everyone I know to unreasonably high expectations.
So opening myself up for criticisms and congratulations from people I might not know makes me wonder. How does that work? All of you blogger friends (from real life) might have some answers.
Also there are the people I do know in person. Will I offend people? I once called a European cousin a chocoholic in a mass e-mail. He took it as an extreme insult and was very upset with me. I suppose I don’t like confrontation, but that’s the nature of public exposure.
So here it goes… I feel my skin getting thicker every second…
4 comments:
I like the story about being wary when things did not seem right when you were young. It's better to be cautious and check. We have to be prepared for the worst at the same time we are are open to life's happy surprises.
The line between openness and privacy can only be found by risking a little. As for blogging: give it a year or two and you will find your comfort level. People should blog about whatever they are passionate about. If a post compromises a confidence, change or remove it and adjust where you place the line. I think we can share stories and insights while keeping what sailors called "a weather eye".
Yeah, I kind of have similar questions.
I've been attempting be be personal, but also keep my blog from becoming a show-all diary (I have my own journal just for myself and NO ONE else). I also am careful about sharing about friends and family out of respect. When I mention Steve, I generally run it by him first.
I think this dilemma is what all authors, poets, and others who put their thoughts into publicly shared words go through. Just explore, and find your comfortable blogging voice :)
Thanks guys! I notice some people even use fake names to describe their friends...
Yeah, it will not be a tell-all journal. Probably no need for nicknames because everybody knows which boy I like (and, um, I don't really know many people where I live either).
I wrote until my fingers almost fell off last year. I've considered actually posting some of that more interesting stuff. I need to find the right context though.
I'm really glad you started blogging again, and I didn't see anything wrong with your blog title! It can be kind of creepy to have your personal info out there, but as long as you don't give out crucial info I think it's okay. Most people wouldn't even really find your site anyway, just your friends, family and those you gave the url to. Like I said I'm glad you starting blogging. Joe and I miss you guys, I want to know what you are up to!
Post a Comment