February 28, 2008

My Latest Love


I'm awfully fond of flowers. I've considered having them in my house an affordable luxury (thanks to Trader Joe's) during the past few years. They give you a spiritual lift and I find myself gazing at them enough times throughout the day that the price has seemed worth it. But my latest joy has been growing my own.

My newest favorite flower is the calendula. I sowed the seeds directly in the early fall. I didn't water them while I was away for a month and they are still the stars of my garden. They are related to daisies and are a medicinal plant. Calendula are the key ingredient to many salves and tinctures. I plan to make my own skin cream from the petals I've been drying.

They are also edible. You can cook them with rice (they've been referred to as the poor man's saffron).

I think they're becoming pretty popular. I've noticed them in advertisements in two separate magazines I read. Plus, if you type them into google trends (what Andrew and I do for fun on Thursday nights) you'll see a ton of people have been searching for them in 2007--while very few googled them in '06. The number one city where people look them up? Portland, Oregon.

I'm so predictable. Still, I'd recommend these awesome blossoms to any beginning gardener--they are SO easy to grow!

My tulips are poking up and I've cut a few daffodils and purple sweet peas too. I'm currently seeding more plants for my cutting garden. Be on the lookout for future posts about zinnias and dahlias.

Update: I just discovered calendula has been named Herb of the Year for 2008 by the International Herb Association.

2 comments:

Jocelyn - Henry's Mommy said...

Hi Emily! Thanks for commenting on my blog. I couldn't find your e-mail address, so I figured this was a good way to contact you. Your flowers are gorgeous. You really take wonderful pictures. I looked at all of the pictures that you sent of 2007. BEAUTIFUL! What kind of camera do you have? I love your 10 random facts about yourself, too. You know Jim is a BIG FAN of the neti pot. I even bought one a few years ago, at his urging. Maui does have awful libraries. The Lahaina library was a joke when I lived there. I don't know what it's like now, though. I would LOVE to visit Santa Barbara, but don't know when that would happen. I met up with Karen (lives in SB, has twins) in January, and she's awesome. I really think you'd like her. If you drop me an e-mail, I'll have your address again! I'm glad you're doing so well & enjoying Cali. Say hi to Andrew for me!
Love,
Jocelyn

Larissa said...

So pretty! You inspire me to keep gardening, and expand to flowers. Up until now, most of our garden has been filled with herbs.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails