September 18, 2008

Love/Hate Oregon

Great microbrew can be found at the Blue Moon.

I just spent a week in Portland, Oregon, visiting old friends and returning to old haunts. While living there off and on for nine years I developed a very strong love/hate relationship with the place.

Things I love about PDX:

1. Very good beer
2. Great prices!
3. Trees and greenery are refreshing
4. Easygoing people (mellow drivers)
5. Charming neighborhoods (I love certain bubbles)
6. Farmers' Market
Will work for food (our old Saturday job).

Things I don't miss:

1. Smokers
2. Weather (though I was there for a perfect week)
3. Trees (somehow seem a bit dark and ominous)
4. Hipsters
5. Strip malls
6. Billboards

My highlight of the week was kayaking on Oswego Lake and seeing a catfish and a mink. And meeting handsome baby boy Finn!

Loving the Lake in perfect Oregon sunshine.

I've spent the last year really missing Oregon (well, mainly my friends who are like family) and longing for all the things I used to love. My visit made me realize that I like Oregon but I don't love it. I always knew in my heart it wasn't for me--yet, absence really can make the heart grow fonder.
After checking in with my past home, I'm feeling very ready to embrace life here in California.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails