For half as much money I got a bit higher quality of place in good ole' PDX. But, hey, that's the price you pay for paradise. And I have since realized the AMAZING value of having a spare bedroom in a town like Santa Barbara. This room doubles as my walk-in-closet/office/guest quarters/ project room/ professional library/ linen closet--and comes complete with it's own 3 ft x 3ft balcony. Okay, enough bragging about having an extra room. There are families of 8 squeezed into these townhouses--and we're filling ours up quite nicely.
There are some Utopian aspects of my community: Most of my friends here happen to be my neighbors, we have a free thrift store, a thriving and friendly community of gardeners, kids are always laughing and playing outside, and it's a very diverse community of pretty educated folks. Plus I have a view of the Santa Ynez Mountains from my kitchen sink and I can walk to the beach. So, now that I know better I like it.
As far as the interior goes--a little bit of paint goes a long way. And when a place is filled with stuff of your liking it starts to feel like your own. As a girl who grew up in the tropics with 17 foot tall ceilings in my house--the darkness factor does bug me. But I have mirrors squeezed into every dark corner, bouncing in as much natural light as I can get into this place. This helps immensely.
Despite an awesome view the kitchen is still pretty fugly. But it's on its way, like the rest of the house. I thought I would document a our latest do-it-yourself development. We found a roll of vinyl outside last night, neatly rolled and in perfect condition, ready to be swapped (or swiped?). This spot near the dumpster is also where we found our screen door . So we "redid" our kitchen floor.
Before we had chipped, 35 year old, green-gray, industrial floor tiles (read: underfunded public schoolhouse tiles). Plus, the cracks gross me out--who knows what germs lurk within them?
I think I can deal with them for now.
6 comments:
SUPAH fly. looks great!!!
love lany
I love it! I didn't remember the "before" looking too bad on my last visit, but now it looks hideous in comparison with your new beautiful shiny floor! I love the wood look.
By the time you are done with it, your house is going to be a billion dollar Santa Barbara castle! Keep up the good work.
This is amazing. I am in awe of your talent, I wouldn't even know where to begin on a project like that. I'm surprised your landlord lets you remodel. What an exciting project!
Well, I don't know if I could honestly call it a remodel--since it's very temporary. It's just one piece tacked down to the wall on the edges. I figure I will toss it when we move and it will save me from having to scrub the floor beneath it.
And perhaps I should credit Andrew with the hands-on talent--We're putting those engineering skillz to work.
Very nice floor!
You're so creative and resourceful, Em. I'm sure your place is on it's way to feeling more like a comfy home.
Come do my house now!
Post a Comment