January 23, 2009

Strawberry Smoothie


Strawberry Smoothie
Originally uploaded by Emily October
We've had a few overcast, almost winter-like, days lately. And suddenly I am craving fruit and thinking of the amazing fruit salads my dear friend Cristina can throw together on a whim. Bruised supermarket produce is rarely inspiring and the farmer's markets, though still going, aren't at their peak for much other than citrus. So, my best choice is my stockpile of frozen fruit. I threw this together a quick smoothie.

Plain (unsweetened) soymilk
Frozen strawberries--make it pink!
frozen mango--make it creamy!
frozen pineapple--make it sweet!

Since I only had plain soymilk on stock (which I like to use as creamy base for sauces) I added a wee bit of:
vanilla extract and a
squirt of agave nectar.

This natural sweetener from the agave plant feels so appropriate to use in this climate. The desert-loving agave (or "century plants") decorate just about every parking lot.

Voila--tropical delight on a "cold" winter days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are too cute my fruit-lovin sister.

(L-HO)

Larissa said...

I had an addiction to fruit smoothies this past summer. It was practically a daily ritual.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails