April 20, 2010

Ghost Town Gallivanting

According to a Death Valley park ranger, Rhyolite, NV is the second-best-noncommercial-ghost-town in North America and if I'm at all interested in human history it's a must see.  And oh, how I am!  Plus, it was my very first time ever in the glitzy/barren state of Nevada.  While it was far from thrilling--the idea of a ghost town had sounded utterly romantic and eerie to me--I gave it my best shot...  Enjoy. 

The Old Bank Building.
 Magnifique! Rhyolite sprung up as a mining town in 1905 and grew to around 5000 wanna-be prospectors overnight.  It emptied out about as quickly as it grew.
The Warning: Rattesnakes signs posted throughout the town kept me on the beaten path.  I saw zero snakes in Death Valley so I got the sense it was to keep bottle-collectors and antique-scavengers away.

You could almost hear the ghostly pitter-patter and haunting squeals of the children of yesteryear...
 
I hoped for a tumbleweed and creaking saloon doors. This general store was the best I got.  The clap-board-front can also be found in Makawao, Maui or Sisters, Oregon.

Stylin'! 


The famous Joshua Tree hangs out in this National Park too. 

Utterly bizarre 20 foot statue next to a tourist trap on the way out of "town."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails