April 3, 2012

Something in Flight

 I spent a long time watching the birds at the beach yesterday. I was keeping an eye out for things that fell into the latest April photo challenge theme "flight." Today, I realized there are lots of different photo-of-the-month challenges streaming through facebook/twitter/instagram and probably other social media sights I don't have yet. I guess I'll go with whichever one suits my mood.

Laying in the warm sand on my blanket, I was prepared to delve into "A Storm of Swords" the third book in the George R.R. Martin's Song of Fire and Ice series. It is really good. HBO has a Game of Thrones series that is based on these books.  And I do adore those quality HBO shows.  I became so entertained by bird watching, I never cracked the book. Pelicans and gulls were carrying big strands of kelp and nest-building materials. They are funny creatures.
 The tide was low so I walked as far the beach would let me. I came to this lava rock at the end, which reminded me a lot of what you'd find at the cove-like beaches on Maui. There is no "coast" in Hawaii, just darling coves and daring cliffs strung together to make islands.
 Behind me were rambling staircases, with chains, blocking them off from public access. I bet the houses at the top of this cliff are pretty rad. I'd be game to house-sit, if you know who lives up there.
 I liked this one, because I was so focused on the seagulls above the pier, I didn't see the frolicking kid until afterwards. Children and dogs are immune to the chilly West Coast water.
 The fluffy, frosty, foamy sea reflects the bright sky. I miss my family in Hawaii a lot, these days. But it is true that I get way less homesick here than I did when I lived in Oregon. Sunshine and beaches really do provide comfort and happiness. Andrew knew what he was doing when he moved me here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails