My kindergarten students and their parents hosted a class shower for me. It was SO sweet. They ordered a beautiful cake and sang, "Happy Baby to You!" My favorite thing was the individual cards the kids made...with guesses on what the baby looks like, what his name might be, and how much he'll weigh.
 | | |
|
| Naked baby alert! This student's mom told me she suggested a diaper and the girl said, "NO mom, babies are not born with diapers on!" |
I got a few suggestions for the names "Rose" and "Lily" from some girls in my class. I reminded them that the baby was a boy. Kindergartener response: "But we want the baby to be a girl so you should name her Baby Rose."
 |
| Happy Birthday baby Rose (!?) |
I sure have had some interesting commentary on the topic of having a boy. One person (with two daughters) apologetically, "
Ohhh, you are having a boy??? It could turn out OK." Another, "
It's so good you are having a boy first so he can protect his younger siblings" said to to the most protective older sister in the world! Or "
What are you having?" " A boy!" "Oh, I'm
sorry!" GOOD GRIEF. People are people. After working with children my whole life, I feel like it is more ridiculous than offensive (and kind of hilarious). I always kind of knew I was having a boy and was happy to hear so, but mostly because he is MY baby boy. That's what he's meant to be!
Being pregnant as a teacher has been hard but rewarding. I suppose being a teacher always is. News of the Connecticut shooting really rocked my world... if i had been busy at school I wouldn't have had time to pay attention. My coworkers were barely aware of it that Friday. But I was home, on a rainy day, on leave, and I sobbed my heart out most of the day. I felt such an urgency to see and hug my students. I stopped in after a doctor's appointment on Tuesday (Andrew drove me). I gave them each a hug. Even though I am HUGE and have only been gone a week they kept asking, "Where's your baby?" "Why is Ms. J still our teacher?"
I feel like teachers have had a lot of bad press in these last few years and it is a little heartbreaking that it takes something like this for people to realize most teachers love their students and would do anything to protect them.
Other fun news: I found a diaper bag! I really wanted something with a shoulder strap and a decent amount of room. I figured I could just use a regular old beach bag I had until I came across something. I found the same Skip Hop one I had put on my registry for half the price at Ross in the purse section! SCORE. That place is so hit or miss but we have one nearby; it is brand new and somewhat organized and not scary like some I've been to (downtown Portland--yikes!). I have since seen the same bag at fancy baby stores in town for more than double what I paid. It has a few baby outfits and swaddles in it and is ready to take to the hospital.
My co-worker's mother-in-law made us this awesome baby quilt! And I've never even met her! So thoughtful.
Good thing we are dog people! Sweet little pooches. I wonder how old baby will be before he wants a doggy? My parent's wedding gift was a Golden Retriever so I grew up with a beautiful dog named Shiloh as my older sister. But that's another story...
No comments:
Post a Comment