January 25, 2013

2012: A Recap

It took me almost a month to write this in small sessions. It's so hard to get to the computer these days! 

1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
Made a baby! Attended prenatal yoga classes.
Hung out pregnant in Hawaii. All things baby related.

Also, I went to San Diego for a weekend (the zoo) and Yosemite for my cousin's wedding.  Yosemite truly is an amazing place! Go!

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I just found them saved on Notes in my iphone:
 They include:
Make a photo calendar.
Make more juice with our juicer.
Go to the beach every week.
Invite people to do things more often*.
Other than going to beach a lot, I don't think I did any of things. Honestly, I forgot about them after I wrote them.

*I almost always say yes to invites and love hanging out with people, but I'm not a great planner. I over plan and stress myself out or I feel sad if people can't join in. Also, I like to do things at the last minute with little notice. I think this habit relates to growing up with a lot of siblings my age and friends and neighbors around--I never had to call or invite someone to do something. Friends were just there.

Goals for 2012:
Be good to myself and forgiving of my flaws. Which will help me be the best mom/wife/friend I can be.
Keep in touch with the people who matter most to me. Maybe call a dear friend once a week.
Get back into yoga! It really does fix everything.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes I did! I'm so thankful it happened in 2012 (and not 2013 like some predicted).

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thankfully.

6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you didn’t have in 2012?
I have most things I want. 

7. What dates from 2012 will be etched upon your memory, and why?
April 20th: The shocking moment I found out I was pregnant! Andrew bought the test and looked at it before I did.
Early June: My first 3-D ultrasound appointment at 12 weeks. I saw a little perfect body waving his arms around at me. I laughed as it hit me there was a REAL BABY in me.
August 3rd: Finding out we were having a boy. Well, hearing it confirmed...we both strongly suspected.
Dec. 22, 2012  Giving birth to my son Harvey. Seeing him and holding him for the first time really was the most unforgettable moment of my life!

20 weeks. The day before we found out baby's gender.
8. What was your biggest achievement of this year?
Giving birth! See above. Staying really healthy through my pregnancy: walking and eating well. Also working until I was 38 weeks pregnant; being the best teacher I can be for my students always feels like an achievement. 

9. What was your biggest failure?
Hmm. Maybe not blogging or writing more. Not printing photo books or doing more with my photos.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No. Other than the aches and pains of pregnancy. 

11. What was the best thing you bought? Plane tickets to Hawaii. Baby stuff-so glad this house is properly nested--I wouldn't have a minute to think about what I need and where to put it.


12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My devoted husband. Our labor and delivery nurse who amazed me with her support, compassion, and encouragement.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Gun people but I try not to think about it. 

14. Where did most of your money go?
Good food is our biggest expense (beyond rent). Unusual expenses for us were things like a crib and a carseat.

15. What did you get really excited about?
My sister going to Africa for the Peace Corps.
Seeing my Grandma in Yosemite
Spending most of the summer in Hawaii absorbing good island energy.
Finding out other friends were pregnant! 
My little baby boy.

16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
Someone Like You by Adele. (or was that the year before?). My students would sing it under their breathe last spring....so hilarious.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer? 
 Happier, (fatter-but for a good cause!), and maybe about the same.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Prenatal yoga.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Late nights at work.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
In a bleary eyed state in my bedroom trying to figure out how to feed my 3 day old baby. We finally made it downstairs open presents at 11:30pm.

21. Did you fall in love in 2012?
Yes, with Harvey.


22. What was your favorite TV program?
 Downton Abbey, Mad Men, Parks and Recs, Parenthood. We just started "Sons of Anarchy" and "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia."  Any recommendations?

23. What was the best book you read?
The Game of Thrones series (also discovered listening to the audio version!)
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth which I read the first trimester and again the week before I gave birth. It normalizes the act of unmedicated childbirth and helps you think it sounds doable. Turns out it was for me.

24. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Podcasts (not music but it's what occupied my listening time). Also, the Fleet Foxes. I went to their concert and loved it.

25. What did you want and get?
 My baby! An unmedicated, positive labor experience.


26. What did you want and not get?
 I got it.

27. What was your favorite film of 2012?
 The Descendents.

28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 31 in October. We went out to dinner at a fancy French restaurant.
My 31st birthday. And a new necklace from A. 

29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
 Meditating?

30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2012? 
Comfy dresses, maternity slacks, and yoga capris and tank tops. COMFORT. 

31. What kept you sane?
Andrew (his warmth and good breakfasts), my co-workers who always had my back, and google chatting with my cousin Jan.

32. What political issue stirred you the most?
Funding for schools. I got fired last spring (for the third year in the row) and a pay cut. Fortunately the measures for bonds and taxes to fund education passed on our ballot. Fun Fact: I was the poster girl (me with my mouth wide open teaching kinders) on the flier for our district explaining the measures.

33. Who did you miss?
My sisters. I am thankful for technology but I wish we saw each other every day. Also, many (or most?) of our friends in SB have graduated and gone on to post-docs and careers around the country. Gosh, I miss them all.

34. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
Be open to what life gives you. Also: Babies really are the best gift ever! 

35. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

As the river flows, gently to the sea
Darling so we go, 
Somethings were meant to be

Take my hand, take my whole life too,
But I can't help falling in love with you.

-UB40 version

36. Bonus Question: What else will always remind you of 2012?
Janna's wedding, my family's excitement over their first grandbaby, and having the sweetest kindergarten class to date.

2 comments:

Holly said...

This was an excellent recap, Emily! Love that baby boy and am happy I got to share a lot of those memories with you.

jhkaye said...

Quite a year! One for the books for sure.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails