January 1, 2013

Happy 2013!


 Happy Happy New Year!
Yesterday was New Years Eve and Harvey turned 9 days old. It was the first time I felt a little normal. We even made it to the beach to watch the last sunset of the year. Harvey slept in his carseat for the short drive (about 2 miles) and through the whole excursion. We tried out our stroller for the first time. It jostled him on the wooden pier and was doable on the hard sand (but not amazingly smooth or easy--it's not a jogging stroller). He slept through it all and seemed to enjoy the jostling and fresh ocean air. His mom sure did! I look forward to Harvey reaching the 8 pound marks so we can try him in our Moby baby carrier. Has anyone put a smaller newborn in one?

He likes his carseat so far. Phew! 
I've been making an effort to shower daily, change my clothes, and come downstairs to the living room for a few feedings. I did not realize how all-consuming a little baby was. Or maybe I knew but now I KNOW.  The advice to "sleep while he sleeps" was very difficult the first week of his life and seemed a bit impractical. I'd have about an hour to myself and feel restless and pumped with adrenaline or overwhelmed with emotions. Also baby needs burping and a diaper change after nursing, Mom needs to use the bathroom and eat something. Then it would start all over again.


Baby shows us his moves in the middle of the night.

Today is the first day I slept while baby slept. I logged about 7 hours in random 1.5  naps.  It means I missed the beauty of the daylight and fell short on my ambition to take a walk.  But last night the room started shaking around me and scared me into being more disciplined with sleep. Harvey's wide-eyed, curious, and engaging moments take place in the middle of the night and in the early morning hours. I want to be present for them. I felt like maybe I was doing something wrong, with baby up all night and hard to rouse during the day. He will NOT wake up to eat and is now very clear about it when he is ready to eat. Though I record each time he eats or poops, I feel like "keeping a schedule" with my baby is a little silly and I just need to listen to my baby and myself.  Andrew reminded me people say, "Sleep when he sleeps" and not "Make him sleep when you sleep."  For anyone whose done some kind of sleep training--did you start with a newborn? HOW?

Andrew is an amazing father. He makes and brings me three meals a day, has done the majority of the diaper changes, does the laundry daily, and can't wait for his turn to hold/sooth Harvey between feedings. He tells me I am beautiful and and that he looks at me with a new respect after seeing what my body can do.  He's tolerated my bossy and weepy moments with grace and kindness. He tells me I'm a wonderful mom and that he picked me knowing I would be.  I hope Harvey grows up to be a man like his dad!
Dad changes diapers. Not Harvey's favorite activity. 

1 comment:

Heidi Williams said...

Awww. that almost made ME weepy reading about Andrew and his love for you (And visa versa) Keep up the good work kids. Harvey is amazing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails