April 4, 2008

My New Project


My garden plot is fully thriving. Colorful flowers for my table and my friends, steam-fries of bok-choy, kale, and broccoli accompany my dinners, and a constant new supply of mixed baby greens make up my salads. You can taste the energy in this fresh, organic food. I'm thrilled. The thing is...there isn't much to do. I water a few times a week, pick flowers to arrange, and edibles for my meals. I have been watching a new crop of spring gardeners emerge, adopting plots and plowing and I look back a bit longingly to the sweaty, satisfying work of making something out of nothing.

So I have a new baby: A rose garden! I've had my eye on this neglected plot for a while. The previous gardener planted the roses just after Sept. 11 and has given up her plot, since she's moving away soon. The picture above is after I started clearing the tangled mess of overgrown rose bushes. I have about 12 roses all together, now freshly pruned. I've moved a wooden table and chair to make a sitting area. I'm going to add cosmos and dahlias, and make it a proper cutting garden. I'll post an "after" picture soon. I feel very fortunate that I have access to land and gardening space.

1 comment:

Larissa said...

Ooooh, I love it! The garden is very rustic and homey :) Good luck with the roses!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails