I bought some watercress seeds--and I am already anticipating those pungent, under-celebrated greens in beautiful salads, and wilted with garlic. I found my way to my favorite gardening store Island Seed and Feed. It reminds me of the small town feed store I grew up going to in Makawao. It's complete with an old farm cat, hens, locally collected seeds, fresh honey, great organic veggie flats, and a folksy feel I love.On November 4 I proudly wore my "I voted" sticker and was surprised when they gave me coffee on the house at Starbucks. I tend to avoid Starbucks due to their lack of free wireless but I am glad my need for caffeine led me there. I spent time writing and had a friendly conversation with an elderly fellow who retired here from Switzerland. I told him of my Swiss background (my Grandpa was from Switzerland) and he knew the family name. Then we talked plants and I took notes.
I really love California. It feels like a nation unto itself sometimes. I got to vote on some important propositions, namely:
Yes on 2: Improve the treatment of farmed animals. Give those poor chickens and piggies more room! I have been a vegetarian for the last 10 years (despite my occasional fish) mainly due to health and habit. In the past few years IIhave grown to appreciate the environmental implications of my choices—but lately, only in the last year (I am embarrassed to admit,) has the concern for animals had anything to do for it. I think falling deeply in love with my family's tiny dogs had something to do with it. Lately it has felt like more of a spiritual choice. I do not need to take life to sustain life. Good news: Prop 2 passed--but I am sorry Prop 8 did :-(
Other good news:
*I bought a dwarf lime tree. My Meyer Lemon tree has brought me (and the hummingbirds!) great pleasure. It burst with fragrant blossoms and is now displaying about 50 bead size lemons. There is something about watching a tree grow and change with the seasons. And I have the perfect view of these mini-trees from my kitchen window.*I am LOVING ceramics. It was such a challenge to learn to center on the potter's wheel. I am not used to thing being so hard! I was so frustrated that I gave up for a few weeks and focused on hand building and molding. My exceedingly patient (and talented) boyfriend marched me into the studio last Friday and coached me on the wheel for 2 hours. By the end of the session I had made one honey-pot shaped symmetrical piece.
It was just what I needed. I went into another studio hour and whipped out two perfect bowls and a mini-mug (with added handle and all). It reminds me of learning to type or driving stick shift; that mind/body co-ordination that can be a challenge to get but once you "get it" it is yours to keep.I recall each member of my immediate family trying to teach me stick-shift and giving up on me as a lost cause (including my younger siblings). I really thought I was hopeless--but then I got a boyfriend with a manual car I wanted to drive. Andrew really is a gifted teacher (others agree--you should read his students' feedback from the math course he taught at Portland Community College).
I haven't been a dedicated blogger in the last year, but I plan to be better (and bolder). It really is a great way to make sense of life. So, keep on checking—and I'll be back soon!

3 comments:
I've always wanted a lime or lemon tree in our garden. Then we wouldn't have to run to the store every time we mix mojitos or margaritas.
Ha! ghost! love it!
this is a great entry em. love the ollie shout-out (:
I'm so glad to hear that you're loving California. It sounds like you two have made a sweet little life there. That picture of the lime is beautiful!
Post a Comment