November 18, 2008

Pumpkin Eaters

One of my favorite thing about fall is the bounty of squash and pumpkins. I love their colors and sculptural design. The prices are generally amazing considering how much food can come from such a compact piece of fruit. I recently bought a pile of sugar pumpkins that were on clearance for $1 each.

In an attempt to clear some counter space, I've had several culinary adventures with pumpkin in the last few days. I begin by cutting the pumpkin in half, scooping out the seeds and strings and baking it face down in a glass cake pan. I add an inch of water to the bottom of the pan so it sort of steams itself. I bake it at about 400 degrees and start checking it at after 45 minutes.

I made two versions of vegan PUMPKIN PIE. I am not vegan but I like flirting with the idea---and I like the challenge. Occasionally I will experiment with vegan recipes when I am out of eggs or milk products.

One version involves replacing the egg with a 1/4 cup cornstarch. I didn't have cornstarch so I used rice flour.

It turned out really well and though it was a hard pick, my boyfriend preferred it.

The other version calls for using 1/2 cup firm tofu as the firming agent. This version was smoother in texture and had slightly less pumpkin flavor. It also turned out yummy.

Not being a big fan of crust, and as a lazy chef, I made both of these crustless so they were more like custard squares.

In the end I un-veganized my creations by serving them with whipped cream. I shared pieces with several friends (not scaring them off with the vegan label) and they said they liked it.

I had some extra pumpkin pulp so I decided to make a quick soup for lunch with leftovers. I made THAI PUMPKIN SOUP. I sauteed some onions and celery in olive oil, throwing in some curry powder and salt. I blended the veggies with the pumpkin, and then tossed the concoction in a pot with about half a can of coconut milk. I added some lemongrass stalks from my garden, which I removed before serving it with fresh basil leaves. It was fabulous!
The final bonus to cooking with pumpkin? The seeds. I mix them with salt, pepper, and olive oil and brown them on the top shelf of the oven, again at around 400 degrees. With very little effort and waste you have an indulgent snack. You can easily roast the seeds of other squashes--such as acorn or butternut in the same manner.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Mmmm, Those recipes sound wonderful. We've gotten quite a few pumpkins from our CSA share, and I have some pumpkin puree in our freezer right now. I've only managed to make pumpkin bread (2 loaves) which were quite good, I might have to try that thai soup though, sounds good.

Unknown said...

Andrew is a lucky man.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails