April 17, 2009

Photoshopping and other Skillz

I'm taking a photoshop class. I don't have any skill yet but I suddenly have the confidence to play around a bit. Check out Street Surfah: my athletic sis carving down our street at home on Maui. I hope to learn a lot more important stuff like how to erase pimples and double chins. On day one we had a session on how to save a file, so I'm keeping up so far.

I'm also taking sewing. I made a pillow case out of scraps (for a pillow shape I do not own) and am planning to make a quilt out of a kit a friend gave me. It is a class full of experienced people (mainly elderly women) and I'm the one in the corner learning pin vs. needle and surger vs. sewing machine. I am hoping the communal expertise will rub off.

And I'm in drawing! I'm a life long doodler from a family of artists (and a poster contest winner way back in second grade) so I am really excited by this prospect. My skills haven't progressed much beyond that elementary school level so I'm excited to learn more. I love that drawing is so fundamental (and complimentary ) to other art forms. My first class made me confident enough to carve a design into the bowl I made in ceramics yesterday. Plus, the materials are a helluva lot cheaper than oil painting.

I look forward to posting pictures on here of things that turn out decently. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Linda said...

How exciting! Can't wait to see some of your drawings and sewing projects. I've been meaning to take a sewing class, it's such a practical and fun skill!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails