April 21, 2009

Easter Glory


On Easter, our friends picked us up in their fast sports car and we headed out for scenic Sunday drive in the mountains. We went on Figueroa Mountain Drive, a route known for it's spectacular wildflowers. I mentioned this colorful spot before, but we hadn't seen it in full show-off mode. This part of California is appropriately nicknamed "God's Canvas."

The view up.

A close up of the lupine and poppy frenzy.

After our picnic on the mountain top we went down a canyon and hiked along a stream where there was an old chromium mine. We came across this super old-school car in the middle of nowhere:
Upon further examination, we noticed a fascinating detail:

Look what's snoozing under the steering wheel!
I am seriously grateful for my zoom lens.

Our pals had an awesome guide to Santa Barbara's wildflowers. I munched on this Miner's Lettuce, which is prolific in shady spots. It was a popular snack for the Chumash Indians and pioneers (and miners I assume).

A hillside decorated with purple Fiesta Flowers.

From the car window: The California hills framed by wild (invasive) mustard.

I grilled up a platter of farmer's market and garden veggies and we ended the evening at a lovely potluck with friends and neighbors. Three picnic tables pushed together, a pink tablecloth, flowers from the garden, candlelight made for a beautiful meal al fresco.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Love your adventures and pics. Those are beautiful flowers! Good shots and good use of your zoom!

Larissa said...

You need to teach me how to take pretty photos, Em!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails