March 24, 2009

Wildflower Drive & Rainbow Dance


Spring break has come... this is one of my favorite times of year and I am always ready to skip town, explore, and have some adventures. Instead, for several reasons, (lack of funds and a dedicated-to-labwork-scientist-future-doctorate of a bf) we've decided to stick around but try to make this week a bit more special. I love the idea of staycations. I grew up in the ultimate tourist destination and have fun memories of showing our visiting relatives around Maui. I decided we will find time this week to be tourists and take advantage of the many amazing places nearby.

High on my list was spending some time in the mountains. I am a flower girl and have been eager to check out the springtime blooms in the Santa Ynez valley. We packed a picnic and headed inland and up the coast. Not only was I greeted by the rainbow of wildflowers pictured above but a
real life California rainbow:

Can you spot the pot of gold?
We pulled of the road a ton and I spent a lot of time crawling in the bushes photographing flowers and the otherworldly beauty around me. We both ran around in the misty rain admiring those romantic golden hills.

Just before sunset we settled in this lovely spot and enjoyed a picnic of crusty bread, spicy hummus, Greek salad, and sparkling apple cider. The temperature suddenly dropped so we huddled in the car as we watched the sun dip behind the hills.

This easy and simple outing reminded me of how changing things up a bit in my everyday existence can make me appreciate the life I've been given and the beauty that surrounds me even more. It also helped me remember how much fun I have with Andrew beyond the routine joys of domesticity.

How do you add *sparkle *to your life?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I talk to my big sistah on the phone! Nah, I'm not that corny... Today, to add sparkle, I cruised around to the other side of the island with my boy and went swimming at a bunch of different beaches I had never been to before. Fun fun! my chi-hua adds a lot of sparkle to my life daily too. (:

Unknown said...

I like to get out in the sunshine and see life through Ella's eyes. Or watch a good movie :)

Your pictures are beeeeeeeeeautiful!

Larissa said...

Ooooh, so pretty! Those photos are magazine-worthy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails