I harvested the first of my fava beans. Fava beans are also known as "English Broad Beans" and were the only beans Europeans knew before discovering American legumes. The magic beans featured in "Jack and the Beanstalk were probably favas. They are so quick growing and low maintenance that if I threw some out the window like Jack's mom, I might have some plants in a few days. Plus, they do branch out in a ladder-esque way that would make them the right shape for climbing. The reason most of us don't eat or see fava beans regularly is because they are not very cost effective to produce. The big spongy pods only have about two or three beans in them each:
The prepackaged kind at Trader Joe's are not very yummy...I think they may have to be fresh to be really appreciated. If you don't have any growing space, I've also seen them for sale in the springtime at farmer's markets. I sauteed mine with a some chopped garlic and a splash of olive oil--I'm glad that I only had to share with A:
I staggered my planting so I' ll hopefully have many more to harvest (the blossoms smell SO good). I look forward to sharing some different recipes--and maybe even some beans, or at least some seeds so you can experience your own magic beans.
2 comments:
Oh my god, Joe and I discovered this wonderful bean last summer in our CSA share. Who knew we would love them so much? Insanely labor intensive, yes, but so tasty. I cooked ours similarly to you - a little butter and some fresh minced garlic with just a turn or two of fresh ground pepper. Yum! Can't wait to have some fresh favas this summer. Your blog makes me hungry! (and a bit jealous too) ;)
Beautiful!!
Post a Comment