March 20, 2009

Officially Spring: Happy Vernal Equinox


Some celebratory coastal fog rolled in yesterday evening. See those misty palms? And that stately hawk perch?. I pruned the roses back to stumps in January and they are starting to bush out and bud up in anticipation of a colorful summer.
California Poppies--the state flower makes the hillsides turn orange in the springtime. I love the lacey pink-tipped foliage.

Brussel Sprout Boom: I can't quite tell when they're ready to harvest.

Crunchy Celery Patch. I ate some raw last night but I'm not sure what do with it besides ants-on-a-log and stuffing-making. Any ideas?

Months ago, I sprinkled some sweet alyssum seeds from older plants growing in the communal pathways. I'm rewarded with these white puffy flowers.

Sweet allysum close up. This South-Europe native looks delicate but is really very hardy.


I planted freesia bulbs (corms?) last fall which are supposed to do well in this Mediterranean-like climate. They are African natives with a clean, refreshing smell. Due to this wonderfully sweet scent they are frequently used in shampoos and body-lotions.

Best news of all: Andrew had his first follow up screening for cancer and has been declared healthy. The cancer center gave us some especially lovely daffodils for "daffodil days." Hooray!

1 comment:

Heidi Williams said...

My only idea... we always cut up celery and mix with our tuna in tuna sandwiches...... kinda boring. But tasty too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails