August 13, 2009

I heart Yoga

 
Photographing Happy Buddha in Makawao, on Maui

Practicing yoga has been on my to-do list for years. I took "gymnastics" as a child, which was actually just some muddy footed country kids doing yoga stetches and somersaults in our neighbor's racquetball court. Then I had a brief love affair with hot Bikram yoga one summer on Maui while home from college. And since then it has only been in the few minutes I spend stretching after gym workouts that I strike a pose (rarely).

I've been taking 2 to 3 classes a week. I doubt I'd be as content/happy/balanced as I've been without it. The job I'm working this summer is pretty intense. High-needs tiny little kids in the poorest neighborhood in the area. The external rewards (money, positive leadership, morale) are limited but the teaching part, the actual connection with kids is powerful and worthwhile.

Before I start spewing sobs stories about life in the ghetto, I'll share some positive aspects of my yoga experience this summer:

*One class I go to plays really fun music in creative ways. We dance freely for a few minutes. It's extremely popular with around 50 people squeeze in until our mats are practically touching. The teacher has a humble sort of charisma that reminds me of John Cusack.

*I can suddenly do half-moon-pose after six weeks of falling down. My strength and balance are returning which make me think I'll be able to at least pretend to surf with my sister in Hawaii (soon!)

*I've lost weight without trying/keeping track/ or strapping myself to an exercise machine. A welcome surprise. My fat pants are falling off and my snug clothes are comfy again. hooray!

*I see the slightest suggestion of muscles on my body. Wow. I'm on my way to two-pack abs.

*My mind is clear and I feel a warm happy glow (endorphins?) which make me less likely to call my sisters/cousin/neighbors and rant about erroneous parking tickets, skunk attacks, social injustice, etc.

*My regular yoga teacher has given me prayer beads from India, vegan chocolate, and lots of compliments. Did you know I have open hips?

*I'm learning to train my unruly mind with meditation. Being aware of my breath is helping me at least recognize the path to being a calmer and more present person.

*Free tea.

Anyway, I strongly recommend it.

3 comments:

Linda said...

I heart yoga too. Fell out of it over a month ago but your post gives me motivation to go soon! I love half moon pose, it's one of my favs. Been doing yoga on and off for over a year now and still can't "really" do crow. Some day. :)

lany said...

yay! it's funny, now i am finding solace in plants and now you're switching to yoga. so i'll have to do that soon too, being lil sis.

can't wait to bring you surfing you buff little mama!

The New Simons said...

Wow... you're making me really want to get back into yoga! I need to start taking you up on your offers. I could desperately use some inner peace right about now.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails