Last year for the very first time I had a non-Mele-Kalikimaka and celebrated Christmas on the mainland. I bought my first Xmas tree and crafted loads of ornaments at the pottery studio (see gingerbread man above). I made neatloaf and walked to the movie theater on Christmas Day.
This year, the day after Thanksgiving, A and I brought a Noble Fir home. I plopped the base on an upside-down planter and found my shoebox filled with last years hand-made ornaments. It feels like a tradition now. Our house is extra cozy. I even smelled some chimney smoke today (it's what California people do when it drops to 60).
We plan to visit extended family and friends (love my ohana) in the DC area. I spent every other summer there through my adolescence so it has a fond familiar feeling. Cousins' new(ish) babies to see, phenomenal grandparents to soak up, and smells and streets I recognize. At least in the summer version with chlorine-y smell of pools, lightning bugs, and hot-wet-blanket-humidity. This will be my first East Coast winter experience.
Pray for snow!
According to Wikipedia there is a 13% chance for a white Christmas in DC.

2 comments:
I hope it gets cold enough for a fire in the fireplace!
13%?? I'll pray!
Post a Comment