May 14, 2009

Clayfulness

I love this picture hanging in the pottery studio. The preschooler who made it really captured someone at the wheel. Check out Andrew getting down and dirty in a comparable image:

There are masterful artists who work and fire in the studio. Watching them unload the kiln is an enthralling art show. Most potters are generous with their knowledge. I am trying different decorative techniques out. Below is a bowl designed with pencil when leather hard, dipped in colored slip, coated with wax resist, then recarved and filled in with iron oxide. Next step: salt kiln. I'll post an "after" if it makes it. Here are two bowls I made after glazing:Same bowls after:I read an NPR article on the phasing out of the boombox, A Eulogy for The Boombox, the same day I noticed these folks still partying like it's 1988.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Everything looks great! Makes me want to take up ceramics again. Is this a studio that you guys are members to? I think there are a few around this area, but charge by the hour and usage with a certain hour committment needed per month.

lany said...

I miss mi hermana soo soo much. love you guys.

Linda said...

During our grill-out yesterday we came to find out our neighbor's boyfriend has access to a studio and kiln and would be more than happy for us to come out and play around. It's a wee bit of a distance in Sandy, but who cares? I did free hand ceramics in high school, never on a wheel, but am totally stoked. I hope we can go soon! :)

jhkaye said...

Look what I found! And here you had us all thinking you were a "beginner." Sista cuz, you were raised on clay!

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/W5_YUOBhZrf-hicRhDEnJw?authkey=Gv1sRgCIz5jujOnaqNVA&feat=directlink

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails