The first leg of my run.
Exciting news! I learned how to run.
A friend told me she was doing the Couch-to-5K Running Plan. I was curious. So, as an experiment, I tried it. Honestly, the first week is as easy or challenging as the 7th. Your body gradually adapts to more and more running time.
A friend told me she was doing the Couch-to-5K Running Plan. I was curious. So, as an experiment, I tried it. Honestly, the first week is as easy or challenging as the 7th. Your body gradually adapts to more and more running time.
I've had a life long committed to non-running, due to a natural aversion of discomfort. So, the idea that I can run 30 minutes straight without feeling like hell is a marvel to me. I am feeling pretty proud of myself.
Things that have helped:
A motivating spot: I run at the beach.
Running barefoot: Strong feet, plus no sweaty socks stinking up the laundry. There's no need to panic if you forget your shoes.
Music: An ipod helps me keep track of time. I'll know a song is 3 minutes and tell myself, just til the end of this song--mental trickery--then start another.
Rewards: I jump in the ocean afterward for cooling dip in the sea. Sometimes I body surf and feel like I'm on Maui.
Scheduling it in: Going to the beach straight from work helps. That way I don't come home and start to concern myself with dinner plans, email, chores, etc. I come home in a much better mood and deal with everything better.
I recommend it! You might be as surprised as me.
Things that have helped:
A motivating spot: I run at the beach.
Running barefoot: Strong feet, plus no sweaty socks stinking up the laundry. There's no need to panic if you forget your shoes.
Music: An ipod helps me keep track of time. I'll know a song is 3 minutes and tell myself, just til the end of this song--mental trickery--then start another.
Rewards: I jump in the ocean afterward for cooling dip in the sea. Sometimes I body surf and feel like I'm on Maui.
Scheduling it in: Going to the beach straight from work helps. That way I don't come home and start to concern myself with dinner plans, email, chores, etc. I come home in a much better mood and deal with everything better.
I recommend it! You might be as surprised as me.
1 comment:
Congratulations on your progress. I don't have such a beautiful beach as that, but I do have a nice creek about two miles distant. I ride my bike to a park, lock it, and then run along the Alum Creek bikepath. Then I ride home and cool off. Mixing up the run and walk takes the stress off my aging joints and really energizes my day - if I take the time to do it!
Post a Comment