I grew up with tofu, not tempeh, but this Indonesian "meat" has recently emerged as a household staple. I generally love fermented foods (miso, kombucha, pickles, yogurt, sauerkraut, poi) and this makes the list.
I usually cube it and cook it like any stir-fried protein. For preparation I use combinations of soy sauce, olive oil, garlic, apple cider vinegar, molasses, black bean paste, nutritional yeast. Whatever I grab first from the shelf really and it usually comes out great.
I ate this plate with couscous, wilted beet greens, and some chopped farmers market goodness. Beet greens are also amaaaazing if you haven't yet indulged.
One can find tempeh at Trader Joe's and most other stores.
1 comment:
I left 2 blocks of it in MD for my mom to try, but she's wary of the black flecks of "mold." I assured her it's the good kind of mold.
My fave recipe (as you know): http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/orange-panglazed-tempeh-recipe.html
It kind of reminds me of orange beef, but better.
Post a Comment