August 2, 2012

Warm Summer Memories at 20 weeks (Half Way!)

Now, I know I sound a little indulgent (to say, the staff at my school) when it I'm off to Hawaii all the time. But I'm not staying at the Four Seasons or going out for Mai Tais every evening. It's not THAT kind of vacation. I'm visiting my family, who happens to live at the edge of a jungle.  And I didn't go home last summer. I took classes the rest of summer; rewarding, but not the restful escape I hope Summer brings.I spent my few weeks off visiting my very ill Grandpa and a very concerned dear Grandma in Washington DC. I'm glad I did, it was my last visit with Gpa before he passed away.

Once I realized my baby's due date is Dec. 20, I realized my annual Christmas trip home is out of the question. I kept my calendar free and was sure to make a summer trip happen.

I visited three islands. My family on Maui, my Aunt and Uncle's new place on the Big Island, and then a vacation-y four night getaway to a condo on Molokai (where I saw my Oahu cousins).

I also started to enjoy my pregnancy. Happy, sweet Summer Memories:

My sister didn't have to be to work until 11am so we made the most of our mornings. We walked at the beach or the park. Sometimes we'd swim laps at the public pool. When I was swimming and chatting in the same lane with her I could feel the baby moving so much. It felt like we were all three swimming together. I felt the baby really early, but it became super active while I was home, which was between 15 and 19 weeks of development.
I ate extremely well, which is easy on an island full of fruit trees, gardens, and health conscious types. I started this pregnancy at the highest weight I've ever been at and I gained a lot my first trimester. I didn't have the energy for exercise or even cooking and careful eating. This scared me, so I cut out sugar/white flour and reduced all grains in effort to control my weight. I've maintained my weight since. Another favorite is fresh coconuts, my dad taught Andrew how to open them with a machete--it's the best liquid energy! My other favorite beverage was water with squeezed limes from my Auntie's tree. YUM.

I stocked up on maternity clothes for the fall. I usually buy some new clothes for work around this time of year. I realize Santa Barbara is really limited in shopping options and I'm just not brave enough to take on LA. There was a maternity section at Old Navy on Maui. I also bought up the rack at second-hand clothing store. I got cute and comfy Motherhood Maternity dresses and professional-ish work clothes all for $5.99 each. I was shocked at how pricey everything is in maternity stores. It will be nice to have options without investing a lot in temporary clothing.
I can't wait to let my baby play in the warm tide pools I grew up splashing in. I had a whole new eye for beaches--suddenly placid water looks more appealing to me than bouncy waves.
I feel more in love with my husband. Floating in crystal clear ocean water together and seeing how kind and patient he is to my family often does it for me. He is very happy about becoming a dad and loves babies maybe even more than I do. Andrew is a natural teacher and has a very calm personality. I am really excited for him to meet this baby.

My parents happened upon one another at the beach. Their dogs get along--another good sign for future grandchild sharing.
My mom's jungle yard.
Maybe my favorite memory was spending time with my parents. I think they both wanted to leave me with the impression that they'll be good grandparents. Andrew noted they were extra nice to me. Ever since my wedding my divorced folks have managed to be polite and civil. My dad even helped my mom cut down coconuts and palm frons when she was out doing yard work. Seeing teamwork and cooperation made me feel like they can be great co-grandparents.
Love my mama! And her foxes.

2 comments:

Holly said...

Aww... I wish I could have been home with you all! Especially when I read the part about you (three) all swimming in the pool together <3

Jaime said...

I'm so happy you had this time to introduce your baby to a place so special to you. Indeed, it may technically have been the time for most development, but I think it was another reason...you were home. ;-) Miss you

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails