February 10, 2009

Homemade Pad Thai

Lately I have been trying to create every meal around our surplus of sourdough loaves, so I really wanted something different tonight.

We have yet to find a Thai place here that's yummy, and going out is a lot of effort and too much money these days. So I looked up Pad Thai and came up with this recipe:

Sauce:
2 tbs. Rice Wine Vinegar
4 tbs Fish Sauce
4 tbs White Sugar
Mix together, set aside.
*I might make more of the sauce so it is more ooey-gooey like a restaurant.

Cube 1 block tofu, then dip into
One beaten egg, mixed with 2 tbs water, & salt
Then roll pieces in 3 parts panko bread crumbs, one part dessicated coconut flakes.

Lightly fry the tofu in oil, with one clove minced garlic, until the breading is brown on all sides, add some salt. This part reminds me of coconut-crusted fish you can get at nice restaurants in Hawaii.
Set aside.

I would usually use Rice Noodles but i was out so I substituted half a package of angel hair pasta. I then steam-fried a bag of frozen Asian veggie mix from TJs. Once they cooked most of the way I threw in and wilted a huge bunch of deveined and chopped up mustard greens from the garden.

Scoot veggies out of the way and scramble 3 eggs. Set aside.

Once the noodles were cooked and cooled, I threw everything in a big cast iron pan with the yummy sweet-tart Thai sauce. I squeezed half a lime over it, and wedged the rest to serve it with.

I also melted a table spoon of peanut butter in the microwave and dribbled it on top since I didn't have any chopped peanuts.

Serve with dark Mexican beer. Yummy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i hate pad-thai, (from the very few times I've ever ordered it) but you make it look good! I might actually have to try some of this (minus the fish sauce of course) if I'm ever lucky to get you to be my personal chef! (:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails