In the Olden Days, back in England, there was actually a muffin delivery man. And when the English say "muffin" they mean what we Americans call "English Muffins." Not cupcake-esque muffins, namesake of the infamous low-rise-jean "muffin top" issue.Do you know the Muffin Man?
The Muffin Man, the Muffin Man.
Do you know the Muffin Man,
Who lives in Drury Lane?
No need for a Muffin Man around here, because I now have a surplus of English Muffins. Once I learned how to make a decent free-form loaf of sourdough bread from wild yeast, I was encouraged to attempt fancier things. My cousin Janna (aka my baking coach) led me to this wonderful English Muffin recipe. Even though she is a five-hour-drive away in San Francisco, the US sourdough capital, we are frequently comparing the rise and fall of our loaves and swapping dinner inspiration.
This recipe was surprisingly simple, with only one real rise. I didn't have a round cookie cutter so I cut them out using the edge of a drinking glass.
You don't even bake them! They are made more like pancakes:
I will never look at an English muffin the same way. These are one of the best things I've ever made. Let me know if you want a sourdough baby/pet/starter so you can make your own.
I put half away in the freezer and left some out to admire. I served them up this morning in a makeshift version of Eggs Benny with spinach, a poached egg, and a yellow sauce made with lemons, mustard, curry powder and a bit of mayo.
If you are interested in an *American* muffin, I also made these yummy apple muffins. I used mealy old apples from the back of the fridge and they turned out really well. They were delish like an indulgent coffee shop treat. Please, friends, never use a muffin mix again!
4 comments:
Dang girl! You amaze me everyday. Almost enough to inspire me to get better grades so I can live with you at UCSB. Ha! All four of us under one rooooof. LOVE it! I'm glad I know the muffin (wo)man!
Wow Emily! I am in aww... those look DELISH... i love English muffins, and your breakfast sounds delish! And of course to top it off you had apple muffins there too.Recently i gave thought to putting our bananas (that are going brown) in the freezer. I've heard its great to save them and make banana bread.... Yeah, still havent done that yet. Got any good banana bread recipes? Maybe you'll get my butt in gear!
Kuddos!! Those suckers look so yummy.
These look DELECTABLE! Awesome job. Please send me some starter when you have some time. Air mail will do...j/k (no please don't throw it across the parking lot :)
Your english muffins look fabulous. I would love a recipe!
Post a Comment