February 9, 2009

SB Photo Journal: Beaching It


Looks like pahoehoe lava flow, like you'd see on a Hawai'i beach. Nope. It's naturally occurring beach tar. This is the reason you may avoid going barefoot on the luscious white sand beaches around here. It was treasured by the Chumash Indians for its waterproofing ability and it's the reason for the brightly-lit pirate ship-esque oil platforms stationed off the coast. It also did a good job preserving the bones of the mammoths that lived on the Channel Islands across the way.


Bigger waves bring out better surfers, rather than the typical scene of Midwestern folk flailing about in whitewash... I am so pleased with this lucky shot! I love that the Island is visible behind him. Wish I knew who the guy was so I could give him some extra bragging rights.


Storm surf casualty-looks like it may have been worth it!


Rainy cloudy days make for better sunsets. Thank you sun! See you soon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WOW! You should submit that photo of the surfer into a magazine or contest! Great composition of the board in the trash! Keep um coming!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails