I love living by the ocean.
I'm a dabbler. This is why teaching elementary school appealed to me far more than being a single-subject teacher. I have many interests and go through obsessive hobby phases like tennis, jewelry-making, or long-board skateboarding. Most recently I'm consumed by digital photography, making bread from wild yeast, ceramics, and learning about plants. Though I never "go pro" or really even excel, I feel like these experiences help me grow a new understanding of how things work. They all become a part of me. Not surprisingly, choosing a major in undergrad was really difficult for me. I settled on English literature, feeling like it was most inclusive and complemented my interests in both history and art. Plus, reading and writing are other favs!
My hobbies these days help me to remember to live in the moment and give me a sense of purpose.
They danced by the light of the moon...While I've always loved picture taking, I'm getting into night photography for the first time. The clear desert skies combined with lack of city lights make for great star-gazing weather. I love the challenge and magic of a low-light-setting. The moon was almost full.
Pottery requires intense concentration and a relaxed sort-of mind/body coordination. I have to smudge my name on the bat because I completely forget what I make between sessions. These bowls still need to be trimmed on the bottom but I whipped them out so quickly I was shocked. Last semester I'd spend hours just trying to center one blob of clay. Documenting growth is rewarding!

Yes, I am!
2 comments:
WOW you took that moon photo? that is beauuuuutiful. Talented sister!
Lantana said it before I could! But that photo of the moon is truly amazing!! Wow. Definitely try to capture it when it's visibly full. You make me want to take ceramics too. Maybe next semester I can take fun classes. You're so Inspirational! <3
Post a Comment