October 25, 2009

October Weekends


Saturday began with a hike leisurely stroll in the foothills.  I appreciated the cool shade of the oaks, hop-skipped over streams beds that actually had a bit of water (!), and filled my pockets with acorns. Acorns were the food staple of the native people of Santa Barbara.  I think they're beautiful and have jewelry-making potential.  But really, I just like gathering things. I do the same with Job's Tears along waterfalls in Hawaii and seashells on any beach I land on.

After heating up in the mountain side we headed down to the beach. The parking lot was hot and sunny but as we descended the long wooden staircase a heavy fog crept in. The tide was up and the surf was pounding with clean, long perfect waves.  The sunny stretch of white sand I had expected was replaced by rocky shelf.  It looked a lot like Oregon to me but it was warm.  I swam in the waves then sat on the still-sun-warmed rocks and took it all in. 

1 comment:

Lantana said...

I want to make acorn jewelry with you!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails