March 4, 2012

Layoffs and Lotusland

I was laid off last week. It happened the same morning I saw this headline. If furlough days (pay cuts for all, due to slashing school days--and teacher prep days) go through, positions will be added back. Or else class size goes up to 40?  I half-expected it...It is based only on seniority, not evaluations. I feel supported and appreciated and get great marks on my observations. Sadly, it isn't up to my boss. I told a mom volunteer in my room and she teared up. I really do love the teaching part. So much uncertainty about the future makes me a little weary.

I am still determined to do my best. Still not sure how to do this and have a balanced life. I worked 12 hour days 3 out of five days last week which left me exhausted. Now, I'm headed to a coffee shop to do report cards on a Sunday.

On a happier note, the weather has been incredible. And, I finally visited Lotusland. Lotusland is the private, historical estate of a 6x married opera singer. It is 73 acres composed of smaller, detailed, themed botanical gardens. It is located in nearby Montecito, where Oprah, also has an estate.
Lotusland happens to be featured on the cover of Martha Stewart this month.
Check out the 10 page spread. 

It was SO incredible. I wrote Visit Lotusland on a now-tattered post-it before I moved here. I was in awe and very moved by the beauty, drama, and detail in every direction. We got a private tour--the only other person on our tour was a guy on a board for a garden in Walnut Creek. We all asked many questions; the plant enthusiast(s) and the scientist. Our retire-ee guide said, "Well, this is just so fun, I love it when I get smart people." I felt flattered and the pleasure was mine.  More picture and posting on this excursion soon.

2 comments:

Indigo said...

I miss you, and reading your blog makes it seem like much less than ten years has passed since I last saw you. I know you are an amazing teacher, and I saddened to hear that you were laid off. This school system needs some fixing, oh boy. xoxoxo

Emily said...

I don't feel like that kind of time has passed either! Oh my. I loved your Moon and Me blog from back in the day. You were one of the first ones I ever read.

Thanks for your support and kind words!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails